Saturday, October 31, 2009

In a tight sqeeze-literally!

I know it has been a VERY long time since I have posted on this Blog but with it being Breast Cancer Awareness Month I have a new motivation to get it going again.
A while ago my doctor suggested we get a baseline mammogram when I turn thirty due to the type and severity of my mother's cancer. Well, as you know, I turned the big 3-0 in August. I went in to my Doc today and when we called down to mammography they said they had an immediate opening.
I changed into the lovely gown and headed out to the waiting room. As I looked around the room of women, I couldn't help but think one of us may possibly be getting terrible news today. Cancer doesn't discriminate so whether you are young, old, white, brown, black, or even male or female, you are not exempt.
When it was my turn I headed back with the sweetest nurse and went through with a procedure that was not as bad as I had expected. Well, physically anyway. I couldn't help but think of what other women, namely my mom, felt like as they went through the same procedure. The pain of being squished into a machine pales in comparison to the emotional pain of being told you have breast cancer.
Anyway, my point in posting this is GET YOUR MAMMOGRAMS!!! In most cases, they could save your life. Tell your mothers, sisters, friends, daughters, aunts etc. to do their monthly exams and get their mammograms too.

No comments: